Learn a little about the tiny principality of Andorra, and enjoy our collecton of flag printables with the kids.
Mountains of Andorra
- Andorra lies in the Pyrenees, between France and Spain.
- It is one of Europe’s most mountainous countries. The lowest place is 840 metres above sea level, rising to the snow capped Coma Pedrosa at 2496 metres, which is reached by a cable car.
- Reputedly founded by Charlemagne in 805 AD as reward for fighting the Saracens, Andorra has been ruled as a co-principality by the Bishop of Ugell and the Count of Foix since 1278. The latter title now belongs to the President of France.
- A democratic parliament was established in 1993, giving the country a unique political structure.
- The small population of 80,000 is boosted by around 8 million tourists who come for the sun, clean air, winter sports and tax free shopping.
- The two main ski resorts of Grandvalira and Vallnord have over 300 km of snowy slopes.
- Caldea is the biggest spa in Southern Europe, covering 30,000 square metres. Situated 1,100 metres above sea level, thermal spring water is used in a variety of health treatments.
- Local Andorrans speak Catalan, although Spanish and French are also understood.
About the Andorra Flag
This Andorra flag has been in use since 1866, and consists of a tricolour of blue, yellow and red with the coat of arms of Andorra in the centre. The motto on the coat of arms reads "virtus unita fortior" which is Latin for "virtue united is stronger".
The flag purposely borrows its colours and tricolour design from the French and Spanish flags, as these two countries are its neighbours.
Our Andorra Resources
These bookmarks can be coloured in and then used in school books. Or maybe you could print the colour version and use instead of stickers as rewards?
Kids can have fun colouring this flag of Andorra. They will need your red, yellow and blue pens. Perhaps you could point out the two tiny cows on the coat of arms!
Find out some facts about Andorra to fill in this fact worksheet, which also includes some location practise.
Andorra is quite small and tricky to find on a map of Europe! Younger kids can try the guided version of our worksheet, and the older children can attempt the more challenging blank version.
Andorra is a tiny place between France and Spain. There is a lot of space to write and draw all about it on this notebooking page. If you've got a lot of writing to do, print the version with just lines.
Andorra is quite a small country, so we've coloured it in brighgt red so the kids can locate it more easily on this map of Europe.