Here's a lovely idea for some Chinese New Year crafting - which is also useful! Children can work out the next animal of the Chinese Zodiac in advance, or check the signs of friends and family! And if you choose, you can get them involved in the maths of it all, too!
You will need:
- 2 x paper plates
- A split pin
- Paint, pens, glue and scissors
- Our printable below (not essential)
- Find the middle of the paper plates and make a hole in them both.
- On one of the plates, which will become the bottom plate, use a pencil and ruler to divide the plate into twelve equal sections.
Marking 12 sections on the bottom plate
- Either draw or cut and stick the animals of the zodiac into each section. Make sure you put them in the correct order! The order is: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit dragon, snake, horse, sheep (or goat), monkey, rooster, dog, pig.
- Write the future years on the outside, corresponding with the animals. Then you can work backwards to write the previous years underneath the animals.
Our bottom plate complete with years and animals
- Now, get the other plate. It will become the top plate. Cut out one section. Decorate the rest of the plate, making sure that you decorate the correct side. We've included some images that you can cut out and colour and use for decoration.
- Secure the top plate on top of the bottom plate using a split pin.
- Spin away!