Use these fun facts to help children learn a little about the Northern European country of Estonia, backed up by our collection of flag printables, notebooking pages etc.
Skyline of Tallinn, capital city of Estonia
Learn about Estonia
- Estonia was independent until the 12th Century, when it was conquered by Denmark, Sweden, Germany and Russia.
- Estonia was forced into the Soviet Union in 1940, becoming independent again only in 1991 when the Soviet Union collapsed.
- Tallinn is the capital city.
- The population of Estonia is only about 1.3m people, but it is a developed country with a relatively high-income economy.
- The Estonian language is closely related to Finnish.
- Estonia has over 1,400 lakes.
- Skype software was created by Estonian developers, and is still mainly maintained in Estonia.