We've always been a bit nervous about hot glue, but as long as you supervise very carefully - and for younger children do all the gluey bits yourself - this is a great craft to tie into different themes and holidays, or just experiment with. We decided to do a heart for Valentine's Day.
You will need:
- A sheet of plastic (we used a plastic folder pocket)
- A hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Spray paint
- Card (we used an art canvas we had available)
- Using the glue gun draw a heart shape on the plastic. Make a doodly pattern in the middle of the heart.
- Leave aside to cool.
- When the glue has set, peel it off the plastic and arrange it carefully on the surface you are painting.
- Following the directions on the paint, in a well ventilated area, apply a coat of spray paint to the surface.
- Leave to dry and then remove the stencil to see the outline.
- We think the painted stencil looks pretty enough to display too!
Our stencilled art canvas
The original hot glue stencil - so pretty!