Children can have fun learning their ordinal numbers with the help of the Chinese Zodiac. Fill in the missing ordinal numbers and then use the information to answer the questions.
Ordinal Numbers to 20
We've got lots of fun ideas for learning the ordinal numbers from eleventh to twentieth - but plenty of practice may well be required, as the words are quite tricky to learn and many adults still have to stop and think about some of the spellings (twelfth being a particular stumbling point!) If your child has a good grasp of the concept and words for 1st to 10th, these next numbers should be straightforward.
Our resources for 1st to 10th are here:
Ideas for Learning Ordinal Numbers to 20
- Handwriting worksheets. Use our ordinal number handwriting worksheets to help learn the ordinal number abbreviations and words (and their spellings).
- Mix and match cards. Work with our ordinal number cards. Can your child put them in the correct order from 11th to 20th? From 1st to 20th? Back again? Do the same with our mix and match ordinal number word cards, from eleventh to twentieth? There are some tricky words there so give your child plenty of time to practice. Try matching up various sets of cards. Count 18 dots then match with the number 18 and 18th and eighteenth, for example.
- Play with toys. Find 20 toys - perhaps 20 cars or cuddly toys or plastic farm animal models - and arrange them in a line. Number the toys with a set of our mix and match ordinal number cards - abbreviations (11th to 20th) to start with, and then the words when your child is more confident. Ask questions like "Which toy is 13th in line?"
- Fun number lines. Cut out (and laminate if possible) our racing car, fish or owl ordinal numbers below. All of them have versions for the ordinal numbers 1st to 10th too. Combine the sets and get the kids to put the cards into the right order. And why not put them up on display, then ring the changes every so often?
- Worksheets and puzzles. We have a variety of worksheets and a word search puzzle and crossword to help your child learn the words thoroughly, in the Resources section below.
Here's a fun activity that helps the children learn two things - the Chinese zodiac and their ordinal numbers! They need to use the information on the worksheet to fill in the order of the animals in the Chinese zodiac, then cut out the cute animal cards and arrange them into order.
Mix and match these number word cards with our number cards or ordinal number cards - or use them for comparing and ordering activities.
Print and cut out these ordinal number cards and use them in many different ways. Shuffle them up and get the kids to put them back into order. Combine them with our set from 1st to 10th and use them to label objects in order.
Here are the words eleventh through to twentieth in our "mix and match" format. Print them out for the kids to put into order or match to other mix and match cards.
This set of 10 worksheets helps children trace and then write the abbreviations and then words for the ordinal numbers from 11 to 20.
There are 2 worksheets in this set, covering the ordinal numbers from 1st to 20th between them. We ask children to count and colour a particular bead, using a mixture of abbreviations and ordinal number words. These particular worksheets are excellent for revision.
For this crossword, we provide the abbreviations for ordinal numbers 11th to 20th, and the kids have to fill in the words. It's a fun way to practise or revise the spellings! We also have a crossword for 1st to 10th here.
This lovely worksheet gets the kids practicing all the ordinal numbers to 20. First fill in the boxes with the correct numbers, then have a go at the challenges below. You'll need colouring pencils!
This pirate-themed worksheet makes learning and revising ordinal numbers fun! Ahoy there me hearties - let's count the pictures from 1st to 20th!
Here's a fun puzzle, available in full colour or perky orange-black-and-white combination, that helps children to learn the abbreviations and number words for the ordinal numbers 11th to 20th.
This simple worksheet asks children to match up the abbreviations for ordinal numbers 11th to 20th with the ordinal number words.
Here are the second set of ten ordinal numbers - from "eleventh" to "twentieth". These words can take a lot of practice!
Here's another 10 owls with ordinal numbers 11th through 20th. Each one is different and they are easy to cut out for display.