This is the simplest of all origami fish - using just two folds - but it is very effective, especially if you make a few! The position of the folds can be a little confusing, but once you have the hang of it you will find the fish very easy and quick to make.
Kids love these cute origami animals, which can be made in all sizes from huge (use them as masks) to tiny. We list them roughly in order of difficulty, with the simplest models first. At the bottom of the page you will also find origami videos suitable for children featuring an assortment of animals.
Ideas for using these origami animals:
- Make a greetings card... dress them up with ribbon, bows, accessories, backing paper as appropriate
- Tape them to a wooden spoon and use as puppets
- Make with a very large piece of paper and turn into masks
- Create a farm or other animal scene, sticking the models to a large piece of paper and drawing in the background
- Make a mobile by stringing the models up with thread
- Turn into a fridge magnet to give as a home-made gift
- Fold a mini animal and use as a pencil topper
- Stick to a strip of card to make a bookmark - another cute gift idea
- Use as "pieces" in a home made board game
- Frame your own picture (instructions coming soon)
- Decorate a notice board at home or at school
- Jazz up your breakfast boiled egg by adding an origami animal with double sided sticky tape (perfect at Easter!)
- Make adult and "baby" animals by using different sizes of origami paper
This origami bat is a straightforward model - but it does cheat by using a pair of scissors, which is not strictly allowed! The traditional origami bat model is quite tricky to fold so we have simplified it to produce this one which is great for children to fold but still very effective.
This very cute origami bunny is fun to make all year round, but particularly appropriate at Easter time!
This cute origami cat is probably the easiest of our origami animals, so it is perfect for beginners.
We have quite a collection of these little cats flying around on the front of our fridge on broomsticks at the moment! They make the perfect witch's cat for Halloween, but are cute enough to be enjoyed all year round.
This origami fox is a very simple model to fold and perfect for beginners. Give him his sly expression with a marker pen and add him to your origami animal collection!
This very cute koala is a simple model to fold and makes a perfect project for beginners who are looking to push themselves just a little.