Phonics Phase Three
When children begin Phase Three, they will already know 19 letters and be able to blend phonemes to read and spell VC and CVC words. During Phase Three, the remaining letters of the alphabet are introduced, together with 18 graphemes comprising 2 letters.
Also during Phase Three, the names of letters are introduced using the Alphabet Song, although children will continue to use the sounds while decoding words.
Phase Three is expected to take 10-12 weeks, with a suggested timetable as follows:
- Week 1: Revise Phase Two letters and tricky words no, go, I, the, to. Introduce Set 6 letters and sounds (j, v, w, x). Learn an alphabet song.
- Week 2: Introduce Set 7 letters and sounds (y, z, zz, qu) and tricky words he and she.
- Week 3: Introduce ch, sh, th and ng and the tricky words we, me and be.
- Week 4: Introduce ai, ee, igh and oa, and the tricky words was.
- Week 5: Introduce oo, ar, or and ur and the tricky word my.
- Week 6: Introduce ow, oi, ear and air and the tricky word you.
- Week 7: Introduce ure (as in sure) and er (as in corner) and the tricky word they.
- Week 8: Revise all phonemes and graphemes, practise letter names and introduce the tricky word her.
- Week 9: Revise and practise as above, and introduce the tricky word all.
- Week 10: Revise and practise as above, and introduce the tricky word are.
- Week 11: Consolidate or move on to Phase Four.
- Week 12: Consolidate or move on to Phase Four.