This famous photograph shows Rosa Parks being fingerprinted by a deputy sheriff after being arrested for boycotting public transportation in Montgomery, Alabama in February 1956. It might be a good starting point for discussion when learning about Rosa Parks and the Civil Rights movement.
- Was it usual for a respectable, working woman to be arrested at the time?
- How brave was Rosa?
- What were the Jim Crow laws?
- What would the implications of her arrest be for Rosa and her husband?
- What is meant by "civil disobedience" and "peaceful protest".
- Who else has been famous for peaceful protest?