You've come to the right place if you want to find a few interesting facts about Dominica that you can share with the kids, and print out some Dominica flags and flag colouring page!
A Little Geography...
- The Commonwealth of Dominica is an island in the Carribbean.
- At about 290 square miles it has a population of just over 70,000.
- The capital is Roseau.
- A volcanic island, Dominica has the world's second largest hot spring, Boiling Lake.
- The mountainous rainforests are home to many rare plants, animals and birds.
Rainforest in Dominica
A Little History...
- Christopher Columbus spotted the island on Sunday 3rd November 1493, and named it Dominica after the Latin name for Sunday (dominica).
- The island remained isolated for a hundred years or so, until Caribs started to settle there as they were driven from other islands in the region by the Europeans.
- France colonised Dominica in the early 18th century and brought in African slaves to work in the plantations.
- France ceded Dominica to the British in 1763, and a small British colony was established in the early 19th Century.
- Dominica became an independent nation in 1978.
And Some Interesting Facts...
- Dominica has exactly 365 rivers!
- The Sisserou parrot is unique to Dominica and is featured on the country's national flag.