Find out some interesting facts about Azerbaijan to share with the kids, and enjoy our collection of flag-based Azerbaijan printables.
Skyline of Baku, Azerbaijan
Learn a Little about Azerbaijan
- The Republic of Azerbaijan sits in the Caucasus region, where Europe meets Central Asia.
- Azerbaijan borders Russia , Iran , Georgia and Armenia with an eastern coastline on the Caspian Sea.
- The country was known in ancient times as the 'Land of Fire’ due to gas burning on hillsides. Half the world’s mud volcanoes are located in Azerbaijan.
- The prosperous capital city of Baku is the most cosmopolitan in the region, boosted by oil revenues. The first oil well was drilled nearby.
- The Swedish Nobel brothers, who funded the Noble Prize, set up on Oil company here in the late 1879.
- In Baku’s Old City, the Maiden Tower, an iconic 12th century stone building, is a reminder of the trading past of this nation, which lay on the ancient Silk Road.
- Baku hosted the Eurovision Song Contest in 2012 after local band Ell/Nikki won in 2011.
- Visitors to the mountain village of Xinalaq can experience the lifestyle of shepherds who still live in rustic stone huts and speak their own Kesta language.