Whether you are looking for cat and kitten colouring pages to support the arrival of a new pet, activities to support a farm animal theme, or a witch's cat craft for Halloween, you will find something here!
Cats first became pets in Cyprus around 9,500 years ago - so they've been part of lives for a long time now! Ancient Egyptians loved cats so much they even worshipped a cat goddess, and killing a cat was punishable by death! Nowadays there are around 7.4 million pet cats just in the United Kingdom, and an amazing 85.8 million in the United States!
House cats share 95.6% of their genetic makeup with tigers, and also share a lot of the same behaviours such as scent and urine marking, prey stalking and pouncing.
Cats are obligate carnivores, which means their diet needs to be nearly all meat and they need few carbohydrates. In the wild, cats usually prey on small animals, such as mice and birds.
Stray and feral cats which live outdoors have a life span of around 4 years, but pet cats can live up to 16 years or more.
Did you know that 8th August is International Cat Day? What a great excuse to enjoy some of the cat resources below!
Some Interesting Facts
- An orange tabby cat called Stubbs was once the mayor of Talkeetna, a small town in Alaska for 20 years.
- A ‘clowder’ is the term used for a group of adult cats, and has its roots in Middle English.
- Cats use their whiskers to measure if they are able to fit through a space.
- Males are usually left pawed, whereas females tend to be right pawed.
- A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s, and the overall structure is almost identical, making their brains more similar to ours than to a dog’s.
Our Cat Activities
Kittens are cute and cats are beloved pets for many - and we've got both to colour in here in...
Cat crafts of all sorts, for children of all ages! We've got black cats for Halloween, cat...
Have fun with our collection of cat printables. We have a lovely poster, a fun learn to draw...
If you have a cat loving child in the family or classroom, they might enjoy having a go at these...
Here are some simple worksheets for cat loving children! You might like to use them for a pet or...
We've two fun printable games and a chasing game that is great for youth groups. Add some fun...
More Cat Ideas!
How about face-painting a kitty cat?
Books and Poems About Cats
If your child just loves cats, we've got some some suggestions for books and poetry that they might enjoy.
- Mog by Judith Kerr
- The Little War Cat by Hiba Noor Khan
- Pete the Cat and his Four Groovy Buttons
- Six Dinner Sid by Inga Moore
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr Seuss
- Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate
- Harper and the Scarlet Umbrella by Cerrie Burnell
- Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody
- Kitty Quest by Phil Corbett
- The Diary of a Killer Cat by Anne Fine
- Kaspar: Prince of Cats by Michael Morpurgo
- Cat Kids Comic Club by Dav Pilkey
- Super Cats by Gwyneth Rees
- Ottoline and the Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell
- Varjak Paw by SF Said
- My Life as a Cat by Carlie Sorosiak
Poetry About Cats
You Might Also Enjoy:
A fun collection of dog-themed activities for kids!